A Much Needed Post



So, Josh's computer has been in the shop for over two weeks so this post is long overdue. Much has been going on in the past few weeks.

We had a party in the park for the community of Eastown. It was an absolute blast and we really saw God working. For the party we ordered one of those bungee runs and Josh had a little accident. :0) The bruise is from the bungee cord breaking away and smacking his leg. The bruise was from the back of his knee to almost his butt. It was disgusting (the pic is a little graphic but I couldn't resist!).



A few days ago I woke up to the sound of sirens
at about 7:15. It sounded really close, like right next door, so I decided to investigate. Low and behold, a car had made it's way into our neighbor's house (ours is the one to the left). Woopsie poopsie. :-) I woke Josh up who went over and took pics on the "down low" (we thought taking pics might seem a bit insensitive but I had to put this into blog-land). Everyone was fine and the car only got the foundation and outside of the house.



Last but not least, certainly not least. I peed on a stick. The stick is mine. It's a pregnancy test. I took 3 of them. They were all positive. It's official. We're having a baby!!! Josh and I are beyond ecstatic. My due date is still a long way off - june 17 to be exact. I'm barely even sick yet. I know we are telling people a bit early but I was hoping you could all pray circles around this little poppy seed otherwise known as our baby.


So, you wonder how this makes us feel in regards to ava? A few things to note: it is a bit bittersweet. A new life is being formed and we cannot get back the one we lost. God has given this little person to us for the time being, and we pray that it is for a longer time than the last. Only God knows his plans and that is a little scary to accept. It's when I don't remember that God loves my kids more than me that it's scary. Does that make any sense? In some ways, I am a bit hesitant to use the stuff with a new baby that Ava used. Ava was the third in line and we used all the same things with Noah and Zoe. The shortness of breath, the ache in my heart, and all of the like is hard when I see the bouncy seat, the car seat, or the new high chair we got specifically for her but she was never big enough to use. I did warn Josh that this baby may be a bit more expensive cause we are going to need some new stuff. I need to keep those things for Ava because I never want to lose the specialness of them. I don't want them to become "just" the bouncy seat or "just" the car seat. I also hope this baby can share a few of the things that were Ava's, be it a blanket or an outfit that Ava wore- depending on the sex of the baby.

All to say, that yes it's a blessing and yes, it's bittersweet. The day after we found out, a girl at church asked me if it was bittersweet, and I said no. I have since changed my mind. After a week and a half of processing, we are just as excited for this new little life, but more aware of what we have lost. Our sweet little Ava and our sweet new little baby.

God is good.

18 comments:

Josh and Cammie Delph said...

WOW! Congratulations!!!! We will certainly be praying for your health and poppy seed's! We are ecstatic for you! I think Josh even cried a little. ;) We love you guys!

Shoemaker Family said...

Beautiful - not Josh's bruise, but your words on life. So precious it is. Congratulations - and prayers are being lifted up on your behalf.

mandamich said...

FINALLY!!! After Josh called B, I've been WAITING for the blog so then I would KNOW it was public knowledge. I'm soooooooooooo happy for you and pray for you daily!!!!! God is good and you guys are awesome! We love you! Amanda.... and SERIOUSLY! WHAT is it with Josh and Jason?! It's like it's just part of the routine with them, OUCH!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Congratulations!
I'll be praying!

Dan said...

Congrats you guys! Great news about the new addition!

So about Josh's injury - I am seriously accident prone as well. The first month I was here in MN I broke my foot (pretty badly). Each summer since I've broken more foot bones (4 toes and counting). I had a good accident-free run until a couple of weeks ago ... sheesh. I can empathize!

Susan said...

God is so good and faithful! I am keeping all my boy stuff for you in case its a boy and you can have Caroline's too. You wouldn't believe how many clothes we have and all that other stuff too. Once you find out the sex and are in Kalamazoo for a visit,your will have to stop by and go shopping! I am so happy for you and will pray that this pregnancy would only be a blessing and joy to you and Josh!

Sue

The Hutsells said...

What wonderful news. I have kept up with your blog for a while now, but just didn't know what to say. I know what to say now... Congratulations! and I'll be praying for you and your sweet new baby.

Jim and Jaena said...

How exciting, you guys! We will definitely be praying - I thought of you early this morning, in fact, and did just that.

Also, we have a bouncy seat and swing (maybe other things too) that are in great condition (the kids only used them like 6 months) that you are more that welcome to use (unless you just wanted to go out and buy some new stuff.) Let us know - whatever is fine. :o)

TheGaffords said...

Congratulations, you guys!

Erin Crisp said...

Woo Hoo! I am so excited for you guys. A new baby is such a journey. I can't wait to read all about it on blog world. You'll certainly continue to be in my prayers.

jenny marvin mealy said...

Congrats!
I will be praying for you and ofr your "poppy seed".

Sharlene MacLaren said...

Oh, Josh and Shelly, it's past midnight Saturday night. The hubby is snoring logs, and the coast is clear for me to quietly lay down my book, carefully roll off the covers, and sneakily head for my computer, where I can one last time -- you got it--check for EMAIL! (I know, I'm pathetic and a wee bit teetering on the side of obsessive/compulsive.)

Anyway, I HAD MAIL! It was a note from a famous person right there on my screen, a talented, multipublished author, {can you guess who that would be?}and she instructed me (not in these exact words) to RUN, MAKE HASTE, GO STRAIGHT TO SHELLY'S BLOG NOW, for therein would I discover some wonderful news. (At first I thought, oh this is a treasure hunt! How fun!)

But smart person that I am, I remembered how hard we'd all prayed that God would bless you with another child--not one to fill the void left by Ava--never that--but one to fill up the BRAND NEW spot that God has ALREADY BEGUN PREPARING right there in both your hearts. You'll find that wide-open space just as soon as you lay eyes on new Baby Buck.

The MacLarens (Cecil and Shar) are rejoicing with you in your somewhat "bittersweet emotions". Rest in this, sweet darlings, God understands the bitterest sorrows and, oh, the sweetest joys, and he even has this recipe for mixing them all together so that when we do drink from the cup, it doesn't taste half bad; if anything, the sweetness snufs out the bitter.

Seriously, your family continues to be in my thoughts and prayers. I am reminded daily of how wonderfully good God is, even in the deepest, darkest of times, his grace and mercy still prevail--and in the morning--boundless joy! Think of it! What a savior!

At some point God will take your hand and walk you through some of that ugly, hard stuff again, and the next time you look, and the next, and the next, it won't be quite so hard.

I love your mom and dad, and therefore, I love you!

Blessings, Shar MacLaren

David Drury said...

What an answer to prayer this is!

May the sweet always come after the bitter.

-David

Holly said...

CONGRATS!!! I've been waiting for a post to say you guys were expecting again :) I pray that God will use this little blessing to heal our heart ever more and to show His never failing love. I long for the day when we try again for another baby (though #3 wasn't planned). My heart and arms ache for the little one that never was. I'm sending sticky dust your way for this child to prosper in your womb and healthy dust your way so you stay healthy and this baby is born healthy! If it's a boy, I have TONS of stuff to share back with you :)

Kristen said...

You know I'm sure you barely remember me if at all from the trip to England, but you guys are in my prayers. You have gone through so much and I can only imagine the strength God has given you get through all of this. You are such an encouragement, and I truly do admire you both!

Stephen and Michelle said...

OK, so I have been chicken to post anything on your blog, but now I am going to be brave...because I am just so excited for you! :) :)

I have felt your pain a little this whole time with Titus being born so close to Ava...Every time I ran into you I wanted to cry (or hide because I knew seeing me with Titus had to bring a torent of emotions), and I just kept thinking about the whole thing and praying that God would be with you during your loss.

I can see how this would be bittersweet, and I am praying already that this will be a smooth pregnancy for you - not just physically, but emotionally as well.

Blessings,
Michelle (Snyder) Mowat

Hummel Family said...

Shelly--

Congratulations! I am just in "awe" of God. He has some BIG plans instore for you guys...I just know it! I couldn't help but call people: friends who've been praying for your family...and especially my family: Burke, Nicole Hummel, my mom (Bonita Wuertley) and my in-law's!!! We are all grinning here in OHIO!!!!!

We love ya
JoEllen

p.s when I get some more time I want to email you...have lots to talk about! and thank you once again for the beautiful bracelet!!! I just love it so much.You are very thoughtful and picked the perfect gift!

Kerri said...

Well, that is just about the best news I've heard all day. Congratulations to you!

Post a Comment