One year later...

Yesterday was one year since our little girl left us to live with Jesus. Wow... I can't believe a year has passed so quickly yet I can't believe it has only been a year. I feel as though I have lived a thousand years in the past year. Everything that has happened this past year is shaded with thoughts of Ava. We have celebrated every holiday, every birthday and now the first anniversary of her death. No more real firsts. For this I am thankful, for this I want to weep. I am sad that life is moving on without her. I am sad that we are thinking of new babies and new life. I want our life to move on but I'm afraid that if we move on she may be forgotten. I know Josh and I will never forget her, what joy she brought, the feeling that she completed our family, and the way that her death brought us closer together and closer to God. How do you thank your daughter for allowing you to see life in a whole new way. Yes, I still get frustrated with the small stuff and my kids still have a tendency to drive me crazy at times, but the between now and then is very different.

The faithfulness that God promises throughout the Bible was truly experienced this past year. There have been many times that I thought I could not take another breath cause I thought my heart would break. I sometimes thought that would be a lot easier. I remember thinking that if one of my kids ever died, so would I. I now realize that to shut down and let the world go on around you would be one of the most selfish things I could do. I still have two children that need to have a mom praying for them, playing with them and just being a mommy. My husband still needs a friend to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, and a decent house to come home to. These are the things that now take up the majority of my time. Without having God to lean on through this entire ordeal would have made the journey impossible. The prayers of friends and family have been nothing short of miraculous many times.

About a week and a half ago, I was having a really rough morning. I was feeling on the brink of breakdown and needed to get out of the house. I decided to take the kids to Target to walk around and have popcorn and pop. (They love to do this.) I was taking a few things out of the car when a cop car pulled up into our driveway. Inside the car was the police officer that was here the day Ava died. On that day she got us water, sat next to us, let us cry on her shoulder, answered all of the questions we had, and told us who everyone was as they were coming and going. She also was the one that encouraged us to see Ava after they had pronounced her dead and I was petrified to see her again. I had visions of how she looked when I found her. She said that she thought it was best to err on the side of seeing her rather than never knowing. We decided to see her again and for that I will always be grateful. Anyway, all to say that she was the police officer here on that day. When she stopped by it was an answer to prayer. She was just here a few minutes but for some reason she brought me such a sense of peace. I can see that our experience really made an impression on her which means that Ava made an impression on her. On that day, I talked to a friend later. She called to see how I was doing and said that I had been on her mind and she was praying for me. This was the day that Diane, the police officer showed up. Sometimes God works in rather odd ways.

I miss my little girl. I wish there was something that could be done to change everything back to the way they were. I wish many things. But the one thing that I can wish for that is possible is that we can be happy again. I want us to be a family, even though one of us is missing, I want us to be happy again. That is my prayer.

Shelly

13 comments:

D&K said...

Thank you for sharing your heart with us. What an ongoing testimony of God's promises to be with us in it all. We continue to grieve with you but rejoice knowing that your precious little girl is in the arms of her Savior! We Love You!

Shoemaker Family said...

There is a lot of wisdom and comfort in this post. Thank you for sharing how God is providing...

Robin said...

Profound words, and I am so thankful that you've shared your heart with those of us who have been praying for you and thinking of you often this past year. Your words in your posts have helped me gain perspective and a more mature attitude toward my relationship with Christ. Thank you for allowing us to walk beside you through your blog, and better know how to pray for you. I think you and Ava have made an impression on all of us . . .

IndyMom said...

Thanks for sharing what you've gone through. I'll always think of your family on August 1st. I had a miscarriage that day last year and then we heard about your little Ava. May God continiue to sustain you.
Sarah Steely (1995 IWU grad and member of Faith Church in Lansing, MI)

Susan said...

Thank you for your openess and honesty. Many prayers and hugs go out to you all...

mandamich said...

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH SHELLY! Your and Holly's gift of open honesty is so helpful to others and you are today and EVERY day in my prayers. Ava is remembered and cherished for the MANY impressions she made on MANY in her short life and the important lessons we have all learned from your family because of her short life. You continue to show God's grace and love as you unselfishly share your journey so honestly with us all. Ava is NOT forgotten! Love, Amanda

mama jean said...

My dear Shelly,
For me, watching you deal with this heartbreak is as difficult as dealing with losing Ava herself. I'm grateful that you know the only One who will walk with you through this valley of shadows. We grip his hand and each other's hands and continue to go forward, living life well, though maybe not as lightheartedly, in honor of a little girl who was with us for three short months but whose life impacted us for eternity. I love you all!
Mom

Hummel Family said...

I can not imagine all the emotion you have been through this past year...but I can say that I've seen so much growth in all of you! Instead of choosing to lose yourself in the whole mix, you have chosen to live life and to be an outstanding Mommy and Wife!

Please know that you and the whole family are in my prayers all the time! I have shared Ava's story with so many, and know they too are praying!

Love ya!

Holly said...

I know you may not want to be b/c no one EVER wants something like this to happen, but you've been an excellent example for me. I'm still praying for you!!

Bethany said...

I am amazed at how you and Josh have both grown through all of this, and shared your journey with those of us that love you and continue to pray for your family. While the terrible hard times seem so wrong and unfair, it always blows my mind away at how God can use those times to somehow encourage others and help someone like me to be reminded of God's faithfulness, and His promise that he has a plan for my life, and He knows whats best!

Thank you for opening your hurting heart on this site and pouring out your thoughts and feelings. It seems others, besides just me, have been touched by this. So Thanks!

May God continue to give you both peace and fill your hearts with Joy from above! Let His LOVE take over and sustain you.

Dan & Angie said...

Hey Shelly,

Angie and I aren't really even sure what to say that hasn't already been said. We just wanted you to know that we stopped by and that we love you guys.

Carrie said...

You know how much I love you and how much my heart has broken with you through this and still does...you are a warrior...I am amazed by you and your openness to share and to continue on with the fight to get through. Jess and I wish for you and Josh all the happiness and joy the Lord can only hold for you. Love you!

Jeannie said...

hey shell, first of all, i grinned at your target comments because my crew and I also love the popcorn and pop at Target ($1 combo, you can't beat that, baby) it's cool to know you are miles away doing the same thing we love doing.

your honesty and heart thoughts were so encouraging. like i commented on holly's blog, your faith has grown these new strong, beautiful layers. you have been to the brink and back. you have survived an experience that you thought would kill you. and that is where you found the face of God. may your experience continue to strengthen others and inspire hope where there is despair.

i love you so much.

Post a Comment