Happy Birthday Ava!!!

Today would be Ava's first birthday. My little peach would probably be a walking, semi-talking little doll. We spent the day being reflective and having a fun time celebrating. Both sets of grandparent, Holly and Jason and the kids, Uncle Geoffrey, and even Uncle Derek (all the way from Okinawa) got together. We started out at my parents house in Allendale and planted a magnolia tree in the front yard in memory of Ava. It grows gorgeous pink blooms and blooms in May, right around her birthday. We then went to the cemetary and we put some little things around her grave. Then we each had a pink balloon and let them go. The wind was whipping up a storm and they all took off quickly. We were planning on having a birthday cake and ice cream out there but it was too cold so we went back to my parents. We then had cake and ice cream and each of the kids had a turn to blow out the one candle for our little Ava. We then headed off the Chuck E. Cheese's and each of the kids had a ball playing games and riding rides.

When we got home and I was putting Zoe to bed, she was looking at my locket I wear around my neck and she says, "I love Ava." I told her Ava used to sleep right here and pointed to the area in the room where Ava's bed was. She then proceeded to tell me that Ava sleeps with Jesus. Just so matter of fact that it brought tears to my eyes.

Many times through out the last 24 hours quiet tears have come. Last night, starting at about 5:15 to now has been difficult. Remembering going into labor, the emotional rush and joy of her arrival and the exhuastion after, all make this day bittersweet. We are so lucky to have known her, to have had her here with us yet losing her is still so difficult. Life is just not as colorful or as vivid, especially the past few days. It makes me realize that life is moving on and that we are becoming happy again (whether we choose to or not).

It has been a real blessing to feel like it is okay to openly grieve again. Some of the notes, e-mails, phone calls, etc. from friends made were very thoughtful. Having her birthday makes people think of her again and talk openly about her. It's nice to feel like it's okay to cry and feel sad.

Through this whole ordeal, as difficult as it has been, nothing has been more apparent than the faithfulness of God. Even when I feel like my heart will break or I will scream out of anger God is still the one thing we can come back to. To know without a doubt that one day we will see Ava again makes heaven a reality. Before this I never really yearned for heaven, yet now I yearn for it daily.

We continue to rejoice in the fact that we have two living children to bring us through this difficult time. The joy and comic relief is unending. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

11 comments:

amanda said...

We love you !! Thank you for sharing your special day with us. Happy Birthday Ava!

D&K said...

I am speechless, and thanking God for the strength that He has filled you with ... you are incredible examples of Philippians 4:13 ... and through my tears of mourning with you, I am rejoicing as well for the time that your precious Ava was with you. You inspire us as parents and we are so very honored to share this day with you. God Bless and Much Love,

Dan & Angie said...

We love you guys very much. My heart aches for you, and with memories of my own. It is MORE than ok to be sad like you mentioned in your post. I think God gave us tears to help us "deal." Otherwise I think we might just explode! If you ever need someone to talk to or be "sad" with (even though that sounds kind of depressing and lame) I want you to know I'm available. I really mean it, no brave faces required with me!

Lots of love,
Angie (& Dan too)
aleverence@constancefree.org

Dan & Angie said...

Hey Guys,

Angie said it well, but I wanted you to hear from me personally as well. We DO love you very very much and are thankful for your testimony throughout your entire experience. Very few words ever seem appropriate ...

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Dan

Rev. Joseph, Randi, Rachel & Rebekah Gormong said...

Am so thankful for your story! You have kept the faith, and been a huge lift to our lives. Our daughter Rachel is almost 14 months, and she is such a blessing from GOD! We have thought about you much, and have prayed for your family as well! I have shared your story (as told by Micah K.) and it has been very powerful.

May GOD continue to bless your family

Joe & Randi

Kerri said...

Hi Josh and Shelly! Thank you for sharing Ava's birthday with us. I know you are an inspiration to many. Your family is in my prayers.

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing how you spent the day! I am sitting her speechless and in awe of your faithfulness and strength. May God continue to comfort and bless you.
S Simpson

Jennifer said...

Shelly and Josh, your faith is amazing and just a true testimony! There are no words to say other than to say I am praying for you all and think of you often. Love you both and continue to pray for you! Jen

Jim and Jaena said...

Thanks for letting us share your family's special day - what a perfect way to remember and celebrate Ava. We think of you and pray for you often.

Jaena

rzvd7x60zwpd said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Bethany said...

While I am in Canada, and have not even seen either of you face to face in over a year, you have both been a blessing in my life through these posts. I need to be reminded that God still cares and does know what He's doing with our lives.(When I've really not agreed with how my own life has taken a turn in the "wrong" direction in my opinion) I appreciate your honest open heart sharing and often leave my computer refreshed and inspired at what you've allowed Him to do in your lives thru all of this. I am thankful and blessed to have such great people that have been in my life during the ups and downs...may God's peace that passes all understanding fill you both until you're over flowing! Thanks again!

Post a Comment